Audience segmentation and insight
- Get out and about. There’s no substitute for listening.
- Don’t forget your organisation will already hold a huge amount of information on your colleagues’ views.
- Pay attention to staff feedback. It’s an important source of information.
- It doesn’t have to be complicated; something as simple as asking for feedback on an online forum or telephone interviews can give you valuable understanding.
- It’s not all down to you; there will be colleagues in HR, communications and other parts of the organisation who can help you understand your audience.
- If you’re working on a specific campaign or communicating a specific issue, map and talk to the stakeholders who understand it best.
This chapter will provide a simple, practical guide to understanding your audience.
We will explain:
- Why understanding your audience matters
- How to find out who and where your audience is
- How to understand what they think and feel and use that information to communicate effectively with them.